Saturday, March 3, 2012

G-free Recipes

Gluten Free is the way to be! This cookbook, Deliciously G-Free, is amazing! There is not a single recipe out of here that I haven't absolutely loved. And most of the recipes are high in protein too, which makes you feel fuller and crave carbs less! Win-win, right?

This week I cooked 2 chicken recipes that I'll share with y'all. They were super easy, and involved a lot of the same ingredients (making it budget-friendly) but tasted so different! Both were amazing and I will definitely be making both of them again!



Spanish Chicken, yum!
Spanish Chicken
1 T olive oil
4 bone-in, skin on chicken breast halves (I just used chicken breasts)
1 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup cured, pitted black olives (I left these out)
4 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I used half a package of grape tomatoes. Use what you have, right?)
1/2 red ion, minced
Juice of 2 limes
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 t chopped fresh oregano (I used cilantro)
1/4 t granulated sugar
1 13-oz bag G-free tortilla chips

1. Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 t of the salt and black pepper, and placed it, skin side down, in the stockpot. Add the yellow onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion starts to soften and the chicken starts to brown. Add the olives and enough water to cover the chicken.

2. Bring to a boil, and then immediately reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through to the bone and no longer pink.

3. Meanwhile, prepare the salsa: Place the tomatoes, red onion, lime juice, jalapeno, oregano (cilantro), sugar, and remaining 1/2 t salt in a bowl, and toss to combine.

4. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and reserve the olives. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin and bones. Shred the meat and place it on a platter. Layer the olives on top of the chicken. spoon the salsa over the chicken, and serve immediately with tortilla chips.


Tequila Lime Chicken Salad
Tequila Limes Chicken Salad. Delicious!
*This one needs to marinate for 24 hours, so plan ahead!

1/2 cup gold tequila (I just used Skinnygirl Margarita, which is the perfect drink to go with this, too!)
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from 5-6 limes)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 2 oranges) (I just used Florida Natural, saves time)
1 T G-free chili powder
1 T minced, fresh jalapeno (from 1 pepper, seeded)
3 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
canola oil, for the grill (I used a skillet)

Dressing:
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup chopped chili en adobo (I used rotel)
3 T olive oil

2 cups mesclun greens (basically mixed leafy greens, I had to Google that)
2 cups finely shredded red cabbage (I skipped this)

1. Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, jalapeno, garlic, 1 t salt, and 1 t black pepper in a large bowl, and stir well. Add the chicken breasts, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

2. Heat a grill with coals and brush the rack with canola oil to prevent the chicken from sticking. (Again, I just used my skillet, I don't have a grill. Use what you have!)

3. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, season them well with salt and black pepper, and grill them for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned. (I poured some of the marinade in the skillet, kept it on medium, and let them cook for about 15 minutes, and flipped them about half-way through.)

4. Turn chicken over and cook for another 10 minutes until just cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing.

5. Prepare the dressing: Place the orange juice, chili en adobo (rotel) and olive oil in a blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside. (I put it all in  Tupperware and shook it, I like my sauces with texture.)

6. Place the mesclun greens and cabbage in a large bowl or on a platter. Slice the chicken and arrange it over the greens. Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.

Hope y'all enjoy these recipes as much as I did!

xo,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment